With this guide I want to ease the life of all ukulele beginners.
Things to know for getting started
- The Ukulele — A brief introduction.
- Structure of the Ukulele — An overview image explaining the parts of the ukulele.
- Ukulele Communities — Even before buying an instrument, you should read over an ukulele forum, or even better: Attend an ukulele meeting. Usually, even as a newbie you’ll be welcome. You’ll get tons of helpful advice, and get to check out many ukuleles.
- Buying Guide — Things to know for buying a new ukulele.
- Tuning the Ukulele
- Changing Strings
- Setup — A good setup is essential, otherwise playability and intonation will suffer.
- Care — How to keep your instrument healthy.
Learning to Play
- Posture – A relaxed posture with good stability is an important precondition for fluent play.
- Right Hand Technique — About the use of tips and nails. The right hand produces the sound, and is more important than premium woods or expensive strings.
- How to Practice — Avoid practicing the wrong way! Better slow and precise than fast and tensed up.
- Solo Crash Course — Playing the ukulele is easy!
- Pieces for Playing and Practice — More tabs and scores for your uke!
- Tablature and Notation — a brief introduction
- More Questions? Here’s the FAQ.
- Glossary — Ukulele terms explained